TWICE ROUND / CITY BUY & SELL

Years ago, when I first began blogging I planned to post a little something about some of the second stores and thrift shops I frequented. I never got around to getting it done. Well, now I have. These are my first two reviews. If you lot have any suggestions, pop me a mail or leave a comment and I’ll check it out.



TWICE ROUND

Twice Round, situated in Durban North, is super easy to find and has dished me up some great items over the years. I picked up a pair of low wood and leather teak chairs there a couple of years ago for R130. When I visited them recently the owners greeted me and asked if they could help. That's always nice. I always get freaked out when the help follow me around or are keeping an eye on me as if I'm going sneak something into my pocket and bolt for the door. Not so here. Help here is always at hand but never in your face or super watchful. I'm always free to browse. This is the store to hit if you're looking for pieces of furniture to add to your current home furniture, like single chairs or a little retro coffee table, although they do stock larger pieces like bookshelves and headboards, and smalls like tea-sets and deco ashtrays. They are essentially a second hand furniture and appliance store, so if you're looking to thrift some cool threads you'll have to look elsewhere. All in all I dig this place heaps. They even have a bird-feeder outside, so you know they’re good people.

Address: Shop 1, Ellis Park Centre, 1 Romsey Grove, Durban North.
Call: 031 564 8608 Email: twiceround@gmail.com
Open: Monday - Friday 8:30 - 17:00
Saturday - 8:30 – 12:30
Closed Sundays



CITY BUY & SELL

City Buy & Sell has only been open for a short while, and as I hadn’t had a browse I popped in to have a look see. Again the staff and manager were friendly. The store stocks furniture, kitchenware and crockery, and a range of other goods. I also saw a second-hand Pentax P30 that I’ve got my eye on. Need to just do a little research and see whether it’s worth the buy. When I asked them to reserve it for me there was no major process, they just asked for my name, that’s it. Towards the back of the store they’ve got a few bookshelves with second hand books. I picked three I liked, headed to pay and the owner asked how much I wanted to pay for them. I gave my price and he said that was it was too much and said “Take them for R20”. Kind guy.
They’re new but definitely worth a visit if you’re in the area.

Address: 19A Umhlanga Rocks Drive, Durban North.
Call: 031 563 2901/3
Open: Monday - Friday 8:30 - 14:30
Saturday - 7:30 - 14:00
Closed Sundays

5 comments:

Lauren Setterberg said...

Awesome post JP!! Will add em to my must-visit list.

Denise Kiggan said...

I'll have to take myself to these. I am well aquainted with the shops up here on the highway, but these are new to me! Thanks for the info.

Tea Sets for Sale said...

This sounds like a great place to find awesome vintage tea sets.

Giselle said...

These are two of my local haunts!:)

Nadia Jonker said...

Very cool...haven't been to either and been meaning to.