A LATE FATHERS DAY COLLECTION




Sunday was Father's Day. My Dad was on my mind the whole day. He was such a great guy. He was kind, funny and always had time for me. I started gathering items that he'd given me over the years and others that he left behind. Above is a collection of certain things that remind me of who he was.

1. An old toiletry bag he used to use on his travels. For manly goods...shaving cream, razor, flick-knife. 2. A camera he bought in1975 in Mauritius. Pentax Asahi. My grandparents were born there, but I've never been...yet. Hopefully going next year for Mom's 60th. 3. A Leatherman he received as a gift a few years ago. 4. He taught me how to play chess. Don't think I ever beat him. 5. His army jacket. I'm over 6ft so the sleeves are on the short side. 6. His Bible. He grew up Catholic. He taught me well. 7. A traditional French card game called Nain Jaune. We spent hours playing this as kids. It dates back to the 1600's. 8. His wedding tie. A thin little number. Hope to rock it one day soon. 9. He ran the Comrades Marathon twice. One up and one down, and vowed he would only ever drive to Pietermaritzburg again. 10. A torch that reminds me of one of the last fishing trips to Ixopo. We got stuck in the mud at night in a deep valley and had to be towed out by kind locals. 11. He loved anything old and interesting. These are two copies of The London Illustrated News from 1913 and 1936. 12. A slingshot/kettie he bought. He grew up on a farm and always had the craziest stories to tell. 13. The last watch he owned. Nothing fancy...just aTimex. 14. This and a Mazawatee Tea tin remind me of all the weekends he'd spend in his garage, tinkering with his antiques and collectibles.

5 comments:

WI said...

This is a really lovely post JP x

Jesslynn said...

I love that you put together a little memory collage of all things 'dad'. I can relate to this, especially the toiletry bag. Something about it (the smell of shaving cream maybe?) just brings back so many memories of when I was younger - I was such a daddy's girl. Lovely post.

Denise Kiggan said...

Looking at his belongings, I can see he had such an incredible influence over you. What a poignant collection.

Nadia Jonker said...

This post is beautiful.

Maurice & Magpie said...

Awesome post jyps x